Hi, I'm Joanne
M.A.- Holistic Health, C-IAYT, RYT500, CHC
I know how stressful life can be – trust me. After a long list of health issues and diagnoses, I decided to to get to the bottom of my dis-ease. The single factor that contributed and influenced every condition I had was STRESS.
That’s when I decided to get to the root of my discomfort and make some small shifts that led to BIG changes in my life and my ability to master my stress. As part of my own healing journey, I’ve developed a specialization in the field of holistic health, integrative medicine and mind-body practices.
As a Certified Yoga Therapist, Registered Yoga Teacher and Health & Wellness Coach, I am committed to supporting women who are experiencing many of the health problems I have.
I help sick, tired, and stressed women shift their health away from nervous system overwhelm to feeling more calm, balanced, and capable of moving through their lives with less discomfort and more energy to thrive.
Small Shifts Lead to Big Changes
Like many women, I struggled for many years trying to do and be everything. I ignored all my body’s not so subtle signals that I was chronically stressed – never-ending migraines and headaches, constant lower back pain and terrible mood changes that fluctuated between anxiety and depression.
Over a period of five years, I was diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome, depression, and the severity of my pain became crippling; leading to a hysterectomy to relieve amenorrhea and suspected endometriosis. It was during this time that I began to look for integrative ways to recover and heal myself.
I’ve made small shifts over time that have led to big changes in my life. The biggest game changer of course was yoga. It became the essential medicine that allowed my nervous system to become more resilient, helped change my mind and body’s responses to stress, and led to healing my burnout.
I specialize in stress and its effects on mental and physical health of women.
My unique approach to wellness and restoring well-being is a fusion of what I have learned from my lived experience and professional training in health sciences, integrative and holistic medicine, yoga, meditation and mindfulness stress-based reduction (MBSR).
When I work with you, I walk with you to get to the root of your dis-ease, while using subtle movement, nervous system regulation techniques, healthy lifestyle advice and rest to inspire insightful AHA moments that help you come home to your WHOLE SELF and more equipped to stress-less and live more!
My Experience & Training
- Master’s Degree in Health & Wellness with Specialization in Holistic Health Studies from Union Institute & University in Cincinnati. My thesis research focused on mind-body practices including yoga, meditation and breathing techniques as integrative medicine for stress and mental health disorders.
- Studied at the University of Massachusetts Memorial Health Care Center for Mindfulness in its world-renowned Mindfulness Stress-based Reduction Program (MBSR)
- Completed the Integrative Health and Lifestyle Program (IHeLP) at the Andrew Weil Center for Integrative Medicine through the University of Arizona
- Honours Diploma in Health, Wellness & Fitness from Mohawk College
- Practicing yoga for 20+ years and teaching yoga and meditation since 2013 with specialized training in Pre & Post Natal, Kids, Seniors and Trauma informed yoga for mental health from Yogafit Canada
- Studied in India at Sattva Yoga Academy with Anand Mehrotra in Rishikesh
- Studied at the School of Embodied Yoga Therapy with Anne Pitman, Cassi Kitner and guest faculty including Naomi Sparrow (Embodied Anatomy), Neil Pearson (Pain Care), Evan Soroka (Yoga Therapy for Diabetes), Matthew Remski (Ayurveda), Erin Byron (Trauma Aware Yoga Therapy), Rachel Krentzman (Yoga Therapy for a Healthy Back), Shelly Prosko (Yoga for Pelvic Floor), Lisa Paterson (Meditation Practices & Yoga therapy), Amy Wheeler (Elemental Assessment in Yoga Therapy), Marlysa Sullivan (Polyvagal theory and Assessment), Staffan Elgelid, Peter Blackaby, Uma Dinsmore Tuli (Yoga Nidra), Kimberly Mantas (Restorative Yoga)
- Certified Yoga Therapist with the International Association of Yoga Therapists (IAYT)
- Completed studies in Holistic Nutrition through Nutraphoria School of Nutrition and became a Certified Health Coach.
- Experienced Health Educator with over 10 years of experience working in post-secondary education at Mohawk College providing wellness and fitness training to future professionals
- Completed Well Woman Yoga Therapy study with Uma Dinsmore-Tuli and Sivani Mata Francis
- Certified Menopause Yoga Teacher after studying with Petra Coveney
- Certified Yin Yoga and Yoga Nidra Teacher through Yoga Alliance